Peninsula READS trains and supports volunteer tutors to work with our adult learners. Tutors are needed throughout the day to match the schedule of the learners.
- Serve as primary tutor for a learner or small group in Basic Reading and Writing, Math, or English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Enhance a learner’s primary instruction by working with an individual or small group on topics, such as Spelling and Job-specific literacy tasks
- Help a learner practice writing by serving as an online pen pal
- Teach special short-term classes to meet learner needs, like Job Interview Skills, How to Register to Vote, How to use the Library, and Test-taking Skills
- Start a book discussion group
- Serve as a phone buddy for learners for conversational and specific language skills
- Serve as a tutor’s assistant to increase the amount of individualized help